The CEFR Companion volume broadens the scope of language education. It reflects academic and societal developments since the publication of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) and updates the 2001 version. It owes much to the contributions of members of the language teaching profession across Europe and beyond.
A “must-have” manual intended to promote quality plurilingual education, facilitate greater social mobility and stimulate reflection and exchange between language professionals for curriculum development and in teacher education
This volume contains:
- an explanation of the key aspects of the CEFR for teaching and learning;
- a complete set of updated CEFR descriptors that replaces the 2001 set with:
- modality-inclusive and gender-neutral descriptors;
- added detail on listening and reading;
- a new Pre–A1 level, plus enriched description at A1 and C levels;
- a replacement scale for phonological competence;
- new scales for mediation, online interaction and plurilingual/pluricultural competence;
- new scales for sign language competence;
- a short report on the four-year development, validation and consultation processes.
The CEFR Companion volume represents another step in a process of engagement with language education that has been pursued by the Council of Europe since 1971 and which seeks to:
- promote and support the learning and teaching of modern languages;
- enhance intercultural dialogue, and thus mutual understanding, social cohesion and democracy;
- protect linguistic and cultural diversity in Europe; and
- promote the right to quality education for all.
Available languages Anglais
Other formats PDF
Number of pages 280
Price 35 € – 70 US$
Volume with new descriptors